Sunday, November 2, 2008

Using blogs in the classroom

I liked the two articles on blogging. I think it is important for students to be civil to each other while online, just as they would be in the classroom and it is very important for the teacher to be a good role model for the students and demonstrate civil discourse both online and offline.

Mr. H's blog was great! I really enjoyed all the Internet resources he used. He found games online that were interesting, he displayed notes for students, all homework assignments were available and it was even possible for students to watch Mr. H explain assignments via YouTube videos. My only criticism of his site was the fact that during his audio conversations with his students he was interrupted by his child (children?) and his voice faltered at times and you couldn't really hear exactly what he was saying. But overall a really good site, and I like how he incorporated math and language arts.

I think I would use blogs in my class in a similar fashion. I will be working with much younger children, but I would definitely incorporate video of myself explaining assignments and games for my students. I think it is particularly helpful for math at the age level (1st-2nd grade) I will be working with.

No comments: